I can't just leave things like that
Just read this from Jane, of the Writing Salon Mistress Muses blog-
http://janeunderwood.typepad.com/mistress/2005/06/talent.html
She had this quote from Kurt Vonnegut on Talent:
"Talent is extremely common. What is rare is the willingness to endure the life of a writer." —
And then she went on to say...
"Meanwhile, I have seen "average" students persevere. . . . and persevere, and persevere, and persevere. And I have seen their work blossom into more than I (or they) ever dreamed it would. Not every time. Not always. But sometimes. They are the Cinderellas and the Clark Kents, only better, because their metamorphoses are due to their own hard work and commitment, not magic slippers, not Krypton."
I hope I am one of those mediocre nudges who through sheer persistance (yes, it's in me somewhere) eventually comes to improve her writing and be much more than they had dreamed of. Persistence. (Thank you Octavia Butler too!) Persistence.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home